Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 3 on the Trail

I could probably write "ditto" and you would get the idea of how Dave's day was yesterday.

His report on 6/14:
Miles today - 13.3
Miles to date - 28.2

He has had decent but hot weather, and is feeling more like a through hiker every day.  His hiking companion for the week, Pyro the Wise, has run out of food and will have to take a detour into a close-by town today, but Dave will hike on to the Outerbridge Shelter as planned.  They plan to meet there by the end of the day.  With Dave's lighter dehydrated food, he was able to carry 10 days worth.  I will be mailing a box of food to him tomorrow.

I asked if the Savannah men were still on the same route.  Dave was happy to report they had left a car nearby, so were taking a day off to go into town.  There was a misunderstanding somewhere along the line between Dave and me (surprise surprise) as I learned there ARE two Scouts along with the men.  They are supposed to be earning a merit badge, but Dave said he's not sure how much they are learning -- at least about hiking and camping.  He said the men's skills leave a lot to be desired, especially when it comes to hiking etiquette.

I told Dave about my expensive trip for car servicing and tires and the mundane things I did with my day.  He asked if I had scheduled any golf lessons.  I have not, and I'd better do it; I told him I'd beat him when he got back.  (Big bluff.)  It's a little hard to get motivated in this heat.  It was 102ยบ two days ago, and in the high 90s since then.  I guess a whiner is the mark of a new golfer, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment