Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 21 on the Trail

Dave's 21st day of hiking was on July 3rd, our 24th anniversary.  We were able to talk twice, in spite of cell phone difficulties.

As of 7/3/11:
Miles today - about 5?
Miles to date - about 245.4

I did not get the name of his shelter so I don't know exactly where he is.  Dave called in the morning and had already been walking for an hour.  It was very humid, his clothes were already sweaty, and as we were talking it began to rain. We were able to speak again in the afternoon.  He had stopped at the first shelter he found, as the light rain had turned into a downpour.

I was really sorry he couldn't participate in all The Landings' activities with me, yet I want nothing more for him than to fulfill his dream(s).  I don't think he dreamed of hiking in the rain, but he has finished one-fourth of his trip for this summer!

I spent the first part of my day with Molly, Chad, Chase and Coleman.  We went to Wassaw on their boat and stayed for several hours.  Chase found sand dollars and a hermit crab, and is learning to balance on his boogie board.  Coleman built a big sandcastle, loves to be in the water and is fascinated with everything about their boat.

I spent the second part of my day with good friends - and met new people - at the Wadsworths'.  The guests brought appetizers, the hosts provided dinner and drinks and my gosh we could have fed an army.  I left the party to walk to the club's festivities as I was participating in a Katy Perry Firework flash mob dance. I hadn't told Molly, as I did not want to embarrass her.  Of the hundreds of people milling around, there were the Huggins, right by our planned dance area.  The best part of the flash mob for me was when Chase jumped in to dance, too!  You can disown me if you want, Molly.  If you haven't already.

Back to the Wadsworths' home; the next thing I know everyone was gathered together and singing Happy Anniversary (to the tune of Happy Birthday) and presenting a beautiful cake!  I was still eating a yummy barbecue and slaw sandwich and was SO SURPRISED, I didn't know what to do.  I swallowed and got tears in my eyes, and I don't even know what happened next.  Beth started cutting the cake and I asked her to stop so I could take a picture.  I put some cake in the freezer for when Dave gets home, but I also plan to stick a piece in the next box of food I mail.  What awesome friends.

I had taken Ken as my date.  He is no substitute for Dave, but he sure does generate a lot of conversation (and some whispers behind my back, I think).  To dress him, I sorted through my bag of Ken clothes sent by Kat - and she was the one that gave me Ken, too.  What luck!  I found the perfect outfit for him.

Everyone wanted me to pass on their hellos to Dave.  It was a great day - I'm sorry Dave missed it but I'm glad he's so motivated to follow through on something he's wanted to do for a very long time.  Happy Anniversary, Dave!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, brother. FINALLY I see my last comment!!
    Why are things so complicated for old people??

    Anyway, I was surprised and pleased to see this latest eventful day for Dave and thrilled for him 1/4th of this trek is behind him.
    But on top of that piece of news is the fact you've made such great, fun, thoughtful friends and how much you enjoyed your day with them, they made it so special for you (and your date!) with the anniversary surprise! That's so cool!
    Plus, spending time with the kiddo's.
    Happy Anni yesterday, Happy Birthday to us Amerians today!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete