Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 23 on the Trail

It was another short conversation with Dave on Tuesday, this time because he called while I was at book club.  We chatted awhile but our group was breaking up for the evening and I needed to get going.

As of 7/5/11:
Miles today - 26.5 - Whoa, I think something is wrong...
Miles to date - 282.9

Dave did have a long hike today, but he thinks it was just under 20 miles.  Here's how I calculate Dave's mileage - he tells me the name of his shelter and I refer to a chart to see what the mileage point is on the trail.  Then I figure out how far he went from his last stopping point.

Yesterday when I reported he hiked about 11 miles, I used the mileage point for the Pine Swamp Branch Lean-to, where he said he was staying.  He felt he walked at least 18 miles, but I attributed his 'overestimate' to the rigorous hike he had that day because the numbers showed a lower distance.  Now I believe either the chart was wrong or Dave was at a different shelter.  Either way, I know the "Miles to Date" figure is correct for where he is now.  Let's just say he hiked 42.5 miles in 3 days, one of which was a very short day (about 5 mi.) because of the downpour he encountered.  It's still unbelievable, isn't it?!

Dave intended to pick up his forwarded package at the Post Office in Salisbury, CT, and he heard about an 82-year old woman that welcomes hikers into her home for a modest fee.  Fortunately, Dave called to make a reservation.  He showed up rather late (after his 26.5 mile - or less - hike) and she told him it's a good thing he came.  She saved a private room for him, making the hiker that showed up without a reservation sleep on the couch.

When Marie McCabe welcomed Dave, she gave him a towel, washcloth, clean shorts and a shirt and told him to go take a shower!  Feisty!  And I don't blame her.  Dave said she has the same personality as Susie Boyd - his first mother-in-law.  He felt very much at home.

Dave was tired and looking forward to getting into bed.  He was hoping his packages were going to be at the Post Office when it opens on Wednesday!

2 comments:

  1. Does the mileage seem high because you skipped a day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I corrected the date -- on Dave's Wednesday's report that I wrote on Thursday -- so thanks for letting me know. That still doesn't explain the mileage on the 4th & 5th. If you see another error, please let me know! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete