Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day 30 on the Trail

Dave and I were able to talk for a little while yesterday afternoon - my busy day got in the way of a longer chat, though Dave said he had an easy day with no news or stories worth writing about.

As of 7/13/11:
Miles today - 9.3
Miles to date - 361.5

Dave, Cloud Walker and Country Gold planned to walk together to the town of Cheshire, MA.  Cloud Walker was still sleeping when Dave and CGold were ready to go to breakfast and they didn't disturb him.  When they got back to Tom Lavardi's to collect him and their gear, CWalker was gone.  He had left no message, so they thought he must have started for Cheshire.  Dave and Country Gold had an easy hike and arrived in the early afternoon.  They stopped at St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church, their planned shelter for the evening. The church provides hikers an empty room for sleeping and a bathroom.  Very charitable!  Cloud Walker wasn't there.

St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church

Dave went to the Post Office to pick up his package of 12 dehydrated meals, Cliff bars, tortillas, almonds, etc.  He also stopped at a store to round out his food supplies, with peanut butter and some fruit he can eat right away.

He went back to the church and there was Cloud Walker.  Turns out, he decided to go to Mass in Dalton but had not told anyone where he was.

Dave and I talked about 3 pm while I was at the pool, so I don't know how his evening went or how many hikers showed up at St. Mary's.  Here's a tidbit completely off the subject of Dave's hike -- when I had my stationery store and was doing a lot of invitations, I learned very quickly that Catholic Churches (at least in Chattanooga) are not named "St. Mary's" nor "St. Peter's" as the Episcopal Churches are; they are "St. Mary of the Assumption" or "St. Jude Catholic Church" - no apostrophes.  I just checked the phone book here in Savannah - There is a St. Michael Catholic Church and a St. Matthew's Episcopal, a St. Peter the Apostle Catholic Church and a St. Peter's Episcopal Church.  Interesting -- at least to a stationery-and-conventions-lover.

I had a great day yesterday (I warned you early on I may inject some of my own unrelated comments!).  I went out to get my paper early in the morning, and the bird that has a nest in our patio tree immediately dive-bombed me, as she does whenever I water my plants.  I heard a faint little cheep cheep and saw two baby birds with their mouths open in the nest!  I'm very happy the eggs hatched.  I discovered them when I was trimming the tree and the bird would not leave me alone; I finally saw her nest.  I didn't know if she would come back, but she did.  I didn't see the babies or hear them this morning; I hope they are okay in this heat! It's been so dry, food such as worms may be hard to find.  Back to yesterday, I went to a cardio-dance class at the fitness center, then stayed for beginners' yoga.  I ate chicken salad on fresh spinach for lunch and later met my girlfriends Fran and Allison at the pool for a leisurely afternoon.  At 6 pm we met again, along with 9 other girlfriends for our monthly Birthday Belles celebration.  We first went to the Fitzgibbon's beautiful home for appetizers and cocktails, then walked to the Deer Creek clubhouse for dinner.  I thought of Dave often (and all the girls and John Fitzgibbon asked about him), and how he enjoys being able to carry his world on his back.  I enjoy having a whole community to play in.

It's been so dry here, the lagoons are very low, there are rampant fish kills, and we see deer and fawns looking for food in the afternoons instead of waiting for dusk.  We've heard the alligators are becoming more aggressive as they also look for food.  Those of you with weak stomachs should stop reading now.

One member of our Birthday Belles, Shirley, was golfing earlier this week and hit her ball over a bank near a lagoon.  She went to get it and as she approached, she saw a little fawn drinking the water.  Then, an alligator rose up and let's just say, got him.  I'll spare you the details, but Shirley found herself screaming.  Let's hope we get some rain, as predicted this weekend!  And don't go near the lagoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment